The Joy of the Lord is My Strength

Discussions on grieving infant death & stillbirth; only the strength of the Lord makes it possible to tell the tale...

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Incredibly Impressive


096.jpg, originally uploaded by lordnose.

I loved my time at Loretto. I had a few profs influence my life with lasting principles. It was a time in my life when it was about finding me--though I think I was more lost at the end of my career there than I expected.

I wasn't yet a mother or a wife with household and IRS responsibilities. I was on my own in a whole new city. There were no high school friends or siblings to go with me. I was on my own and investing in me. At least that's what I thought I was doing.

Of course, I drank too much, partied too much, and fell in with yahoo's who did the same thing. I think U2 says it best when they exclaim that they still haven't found what they're looking for. I don't know as if we ever will on this side of the Rainbow. There's a part of us that will always be restless and just a little lost.

But in spite of that earthly anxiety, I rest in the same promises of God that motivated the Sisters of Loretto to further themselves in education. The same Spirit who motivated them to climb those blasted stairs every single day of their lives is the same Spirit who prompts me to persevere in similar hardships.

To my astonishment, I found out after I'd studied all that liberal artsy intellectual stuff that it's only the peace of Christ which keeps the heart & mind. I learned that to partake in religious study books and such doesn't necessarily teach the heart about religion or the objective of it. It's the love of God which is shed abroad in our hearts that provides the "aahh-ha" moments - see Romans 5.

I truly loved my time at Loretto, and I would do it all over in a heartbeat. But I kid you not when I say that I've loved studying the bible so much more than any other subject I ever studied on that lovely campus. The information found in the bible has gotten me through the darkest blows of my life. It gave me assurance, comfort, love, and answers to so many "why's" that have befallen my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home